[RE-wrenches] DC Solenoid Coil Current

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Feb 12 13:08:35 PST 2014

Pure genius, Dan. Exactly what I needed. You are truly an asset to the Wrench board.

Thanks Frank for the tip on the MOSFET. Good to hear from you.

Thank you,

Larry Crutcher

On Feb 11, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Exeltech <exeltech at yahoo.com> wrote:

Larry,

A latching relay isn't suitable for fail-safe applications.

Look into the "Kilovac Czonka III EV200HAANA".  This series has a coil "economizer" that reduces coil current (and thus power consumption) after pull-in.  Rated coil power is less than 2 watts.  Models are good to 900Vdc and up to 500A.

Coil inrush current on one model I found is spec'd at 3.8 A for a 130 milliseconds, so you'd need an external transistor to drive it from the computer.  If power consumption is a critical aspect, use a suitable MOSFET.  If you don't mind wasting another watt or two, a bipolar NPN will also work.  The coil current throttles back to less than 100 mA at 12Vdc after contact closure.  Because a specialized electronic power supply is driving the coil, Kilovac rates the DC input to the coil driver at anything from 9Vdc to 36Vdc.

Here's the Allied page: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70062411

Not cheap .. but excellent quality.  If you're a registered reseller with Allied, the $ is less.

Dan