[RE-wrenches] DC Solenoid Coil Current

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Feb 11 16:43:41 PST 2014

Hello Wrenches,

We're preparing to offer Lithium batteries to some of our customers as a replacement to lead acid in recreational vehicles. RV batteries can have multiple charge sources simultaneously so I have worked out protective circuitry to interface with a EMS computer. To insure failsafe operation, I need to install 2 solenoids that will be active 24/7, opening only when fault conditions are met.

The solenoids I have looked at (200 amp) have a coil current of about 1 ampere each which equates to 600Wh daily consumption. I'de like to reduce that BUT the computer only provides a +12v or 0 volt state.

Does anyone know of a latching solenoid that will work with a 12v hi/lo voltage state,
OR an interface or circuit for hi/lo to control latching relay
OR a solenoid with a very low quiescent current when on?

Many thanks in advance,

Larry Crutcher