[RE-wrenches] Grid-tied Trace SW

Russell Mueller russ at buffalosolartaos.com
Tue Sep 9 07:43:13 PDT 2014

Hello Esteemed Wrenches,

I have a prospective client who has an old GTBB system using a Trace SW -- it was permitted and signed off by the utility way back when and has been operational ever since.  It's a Trace SW 4024 that's feeding the grid through a Trace T-240 transformer -- I didn't see a GTI.  All he wants me to do is replace his failing array (which would increase his array size from 1152W to 3300W) -- not pull a permit, not change the BOS other than to add a 2nd charge controller.

The original question that lead me to write this post is whether the SW4024 can handle the full 4kW sell-back onto the grid -- I couldn't find any specs on that on the web.

But the question I have now is whether the Trace SW is UL1741 compliant.  I didn't think to do an anti-islanding test before I left the site.  If it's not, then I'm thinking maybe I should insist that he change out his inverter for a modern one, or I'll pass on the job.  If it fails an anti-islanding test (which I'll do next time I'm in his neighborhood), then the dangers are obvious, and I don't want the liability.

What would you all do in this situation?  Do any of you have experience with grid-tied SWs -- any advice?

Thanks,

Russ

--
Russell Mueller
NM EE98 Electrical Contractor, license #382671

BUFFALO SOLAR LLC
Taos, New Mexico
575-770-4877
russ at buffalosolartaos.com