[RE-wrenches] Enphase and Line Noise

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon Oct 21 07:08:36 PDT 2013

 I agree with August. Install an outlet on the subpanel that combines the
branch circuits and plug the Envoy in there. Buy the Envoy with the
powerline Ethernet devices. We have reduced our issues to essentially zero.
As a package deal, we almost always sell PV systems with a Pentair Variable
Speed Pump with every pool home (explaining that they will save more money
from the pump investment than equivalently priced PV). I've never had a
single interference issue attributable to a VFD. About half of all pool
pumps around here are fed directly from a main distribution panel, with the
other half on a pool subpanel.

We have commercial systems up to 54kW on a single meter and 75kW on three
adjacent meters with no communication line filters. I would advise you to
make the line filter an after-the-fact potential change order on commercial
applications. See if it works without first - others may disagree with this
approach, but we have never had to use one.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar