[RE-wrenches] Burned Inverter Technician

Steven Lawrence lawrencesteven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 08:06:38 PDT 2013

Wrenches,

A technician from Solectria was severely burned when he tried to replace a
filter on an inverter.  You can read it at
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2013/10/man_medivacked_from_delaware_v.html

I hope he's ok and that he makes a full recovery.  I also hope everyone
here reviews their safety practices when troubleshooting PV systems.  This
type of incident can happen on any inverter/combiner box to anyone and
while the chances are very low, the consequences are severe.  I know how
much of a pain it is to wear an arc flash suit (they make class 2 clothing
BTW) with the full mask on, especially when it's hot outside, but it is
something everyone should be doing when troubleshooting anything energized.

Stay safe.

Steven Lawrence