[RE-wrenches] ECO GEN ALERT

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Sep 25 16:06:44 PDT 2013

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your involvement with this. I will answer below.
    * On the activation issue, Generac required not only the serial
number, but the exact address. The system was off grid in a remote
location and had no mail delivery. The client was not available for
information, so we could not get an activation. The customer service
rep at Generac said she would give me the activation code, but that
it would violate the warranty. I declined to receive the code under
these circumstances.
        * I was told that if the generator was moved from its initial
location, the warranty would be voided.
    * The oil hose did not result in the shutdown of the generator.
It should have. Also, the over-temperature shutdown did not activate,
even though the machine was extremely overheated. The fact that it
did not shut down is extremely puzzling and alarming.
    * A Generac service tech has been out and is being extremely
helpful. The service tech feels as we do that the unit should be
replaced, not repaired. There are four reasons I feel it should be replaced.
        * It got way too hot.
        * II ran with most of the oil blown out
        * The over temperature shutoff failed
        * The oil hose issue did not result in a shutdown as it was
supposed to. Generac will certainly repair the unit, but we feel
replacement is appropriate.
    Thanks again for your support.

    Drake