[RE-wrenches] ECO GEN ALERT

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 15:34:03 PDT 2013

Drake,
As a Generac service dealer, I brought your generator problem to the
attention of Generac's managers. They had a couple of comments:
1) The activation issue sounds like a misunderstanding. Activation is only
a data gathering process, I normally do it online (
https://www.activategen.com/ ). There is no reason why you could not do it
on behalf of the customer.
The activation reps do not handle service calls.

2) The oil hose issue should have resulted in a shutdown which would have
been simple to remedy. There's no record of generators being damaged by
this issue. However, if this is what happened, Generac is very good about
warranty repair and would be very responsive. I would call the nearest
Generac dealer and let them file a warranty claim. It does not matter that
the generator was not purchased from the dealer, all dealers are required
to handle warranty for any generator as they get paid to repair the units.
Generac will advise the dealer how to proceed. You seem to indicate Generac
did not want to replace the unit but I also get the feeling no tech has
looked at the unit yet. You have to follow the process. Generac will
determine the best course of action once they know the details.

Feel free to pass on any issues you are having resolving this issue. I can
get the service manager involved if you feel you are not getting adequate
response but you do need to get a service dealer involved before any
repairs or replacements can be discussed.

Chris

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Drake <
drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org> wrote:

>  Wrenches,
>
> An unknown quantity of Generac EcoGens went out of the factory with
> incorrectly connected oil lines. We are working with Generac now,
> concerning a new unit that destroyed itself on its first run.
>
> After we hooked the machine up and left, the customer manually started the
> machine the following day. We were not able to do the startup because we
> did not have *all the information* needed for Generac to provide us with
> the access code needed to start the unit. The representative told me she
> would give me the code, but that it would void the warranty!  Beware of the
> many EcoGen warranty loopholes!
>
> After providing the necessary information to Generac and receiving the
> access code, my client started the unit and watched happily as the machine
> ran quietly and charged the batteries at twice the rate of her old unit.
> She went about her chores, and 2 hours later noticed that the yard had a
> tremendous amount of smoke in it. The generator was pouring out smoke. The
> lid of the enclosure was too hot to touch.
>
> The machine was seriously damaged. Much of the oil was blown out.*Neither the over-temperature nor the low engine oil shutdown functioned to
> protect the unit*.
>
> We are asking Generac to provide a new unit, not repair the flawed one, as
> the amount of overheating could have damaged unknown components. We
> understand that Generac would prefer to repair instead of replace.
>
> Under the circumstances, it would be wise to monitor a new EcoGen for much
> longer than would normally be required after startup. How long?  I don't
> know. I'd wait two hours to feel safe.
>
> Best,
>
> Drake
>
> Drake Chamberlin