[RE-wrenches] Advice Needed: L16 Accident! Damage Questions

Kelly Larson solarwrench at asis.com
Fri Sep 13 08:32:48 PDT 2013

Hi Jeff,

I agree with William, but I also know how we try to help our customers.  (Murphy's law is always in effect!)  I would caution you in making any assessment of the batteries.  You really can't tell how much damage there is.

My story involved a cracked post INSIDE the battery, un-viewable from the outside.  This results in a high resistance connection, with melting/high temperature at the affected post.  I had one that didn't show right away, but later the customer called with "a strange smell" coming from the bank.  On inspection we discovered a large hole in the top/side of one of the batteries!

Blessings,
Kelly

Kelly Larson
707-223-3209
Box 504
Ukiah, CA 95482
Electrical Engineer
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional
ISPQ Master Trainer
CA Electrical Contractor# 868189
SolarKelly.com

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power!  I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."   	~ Thomas Edison