[RE-wrenches] PV Assist

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Fri Aug 16 18:47:40 PDT 2013

Folks,
I've heard lots of good advice on this subject and as an old off-grid system designer, energy conservation has long been a field I take seriously. Generating power that you wouldn't otherwise need because you refuse to use the power wisely is just...  Stupid. Stupid financially and stupid in just about any other category I can think of. To quote some redneck (but funny!) comic, "You can't fix stupid." Like Todd, I've walked away from big money clients who just didn't -and wouldn't- get it. Heresy, I know, in a capitalistic economy. I blame my Hippie roots, but I make no apology for them. We am what we am.
That said, I disagree with Eric that excess PV is a waste. At a module price of $6.00/Watt, you bet! At $1.50/W or less to the end user these days, not so much. I live off-grid and have for 40 years. I have what you might consider to be "excess PV" in the air. Ya know, if you don't take it to ridiculous lengths, there really ain't no such thing. During the high season, you will have electrons coming out your ears. As Jay and others have said, use them! Make hot water. Don't need hot water in the summer? Pump some water! Run an evaporative cooler. A freakin' water feature. Whatever. Be creative! Make your clients' lives funner and maybe make a few bucks at that.
It's in the early Spring and Late Fall that excess PV really pays for itself. What's the real cost of an hour of generator time? I reckon it's somewhere between $4 and $8/ hour depending on fuel type, size, yada yada. The heavier the consumption, the more those sorta sunny or sorta cloudy PV days count.  Even if you saved just 10% of genny time during those periods, do that math. Plus, for whatever that extra PV saves in genny time, the planet thanks you -and them. As a side bene, they don't have to listen to the damn thing. A feature, sell it!
I also disagree with his suggestion to do things that "minimizes user interaction" I strive to MAXIMIZE user interaction! My experience shows me that the more the client relates to his/her system, the more reliable it is. That goes triple for generators. "Did I just hear the generator start? Damn, I was gonna check the oil. Ah well, next time." Ya know?
I totally understand that some folks will just not pay attention no matter how logical it is or despite your best efforts to explain that. But you have to try. It's an important part of our job and we need to do it. With passion.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but those uninvolved folks will be a thorn in your side for a long time. Sooner or later, there is a VERY good chance that they will cost you money. Believe it.
Good Luck, bob-O