[RE-wrenches] Tri-Star MPPT

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jul 23 15:22:36 PDT 2013

Did you look for dead cells?   I've seen many L 16 sets  (including my
own) only last 4-1/2 years, so that set was already almost done.  If she
started mixing new batteries in before, she knew she already had a
problem.  Did this system change from 12 v to 24 v?  The rule of thumb
for eons  (or at least the long history of lead acid batteries) is that
a mixed set of new and old batteries will only last as long as the
oldest battery.   The new batteries will be chronically undercharged,
while the old ones will be chronically over charged.
My guess is the higher charging rate available  caused some already
heavily sulfated cells to go ahead and short out.
It's like giving a gasping man some oxygen, and then he goes into
cardiac arrest.  You did what you could, but those batteries were on
their way out already.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,