[RE-wrenches] 24V charging with 60 cell modules

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Tue Jun 4 11:46:03 PDT 2013

Hi Allan,

If I can jump in here: using a 60-cell module on a 24V battery is similar to using two (in series) of the old 30-cell "self-regulating" modules that were available way back in the 80's. While it was found that those modules were not nearly as effective at charging 12V batteries as 36-cell modules (or 33-cell or 35-cell which were also available at that time), they did in fact charge batteries up to full voltage. In fact it was found that they could actually overcharge batteries if there were no loads on the system drawing energy from the battery bank, so they were not really "self-regulating" after all, and that is the main reason why they were discontinued. They still needed to have a charge controller in most systems, so it wasn't cost effective to use 30 cells.

What happens is that as the voltage rises above Vmp, the module will operate past the "knee" in the voltage curve. As the voltage moves higher, the output amperage of the module will (rather quickly) decline, until it approaches Voc where there is zero current. This was the concept behind the "self-regulation" idea. However, as you point out, the voltage curve of a module will vary depending on temperature. A cold 30-cell module might overcharge a 12V battery in the winter, but take a lot longer to fully charge a 12V battery in hot weather. Even in hot weather though, a 60-cell module should still have a Voc above 30V, so some charging will still happen, albeit at a greatly reduced current.

This does NOT mean that systems should be designed and installed with single 60-cell module charging a 24V battery, unless the load is so small relative to the module wattage that greatly reduced PV output is acceptable. Two 135W 36-cell modules (or a single 72-cell module) on a PWM controller would be much more charge-effective, at only slightly more cost.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar