[RE-wrenches] Defective modules-Chinese crap?

Troy Harvey taharvey at heliocentric.org
Thu May 30 01:16:11 PDT 2013

Bill,

As far as I know, there is no american manufacturer that is left standing who has been in the business for decades. Solarworld's USA plant, if that is who you mean, has bounced around ownership at least 3 times in the last 20 years (arco, shell, siemans, solarworld), and they shut down their California plant 1.5 years ago.

Heck, there are hardly any US manufacturers left. We used to count on USA or german companies being the standard, but now we've seen a bunch go out of the PV business that had been trustworthy names (Schott or Evergreen anyone?). The Chinese dominate the top 10 producers list, but even they are hurting with razor thin margins, putting them at risk. (though lots of Chinese businesses seem to be happy with 2-4% margins at huge volumes)

The question is who to trust? I'm not seeing any stability in the USA manufacturers either.

One option we've been looking at is only using companies that carry 3rd party Warranty insurance, like Canadian Solar.

Another is only buy from big multinationals: Kyocera, Samsung, Sharp who will still be around (though not necessarily still in the PV biz)

But what I'd like to see is a open survey of failure rates by manufacturer, like these for canadian solar and Yingli: http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20111208.html

(notice they do creep up a bit around 2009, Yingli doesn't look as good as CSI)

Troy Harvey
Principal Engineer
Heliocentric
801-453-9434