[RE-wrenches] Battery Terminal Connections

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Tue Apr 2 13:04:48 PDT 2013

This from Sharkey:

Injecting some knowledge in the current discussion about corrosion inhibiting grease. Allan Sindelar asks if there are other effective products:

For the last six years, I've been using a product manufactured by Sanchem, Inc. called NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL, which is a thick wax product combined with Amine. From the manufacturer's web site:

http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

"NO-OX-ID A-Special is a soft, wax based rust preventative and lubricant that contains an active rust inhibitor and small amount of solvent for ease of application. This corrosion resistant coating can be applied by spray or brush application. NO-OX-ID controls corrosion by leaving a thick, semi-transparent, non-drying barrier coating that retains its anti rust properties indefinitely.

NO-OX-ID "A-SPECIAL" is the electrical contact grease of choice in new electrical installations and maintenance because of its excellent performance in keeping metals free from corrosion. This rust preventative has been used for over 50 years to preventing corrosion in electrical connectors from low micro-power electronics to high voltage switchgear. NO-OX-ID A-Special prevents the formation of oxides, sulfides and other corrosion deposits on copper and aluminum surfaces and conductors can be prevented with its use. This product is used as a battery terminal grease because it is not effected by battery acid."

Regarding the Amine additive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amine

"Because amines are basic, they neutralize acids to form the corresponding ammonium salts"

I first learned about this product from a maintenance technician from the phone company who was schooled in the old ways of preserving equipment. I've used it on all my battery terminals and hardware and have never had a failure due to heat or corrosion. It's probably not a cheap as Vaseline, but I bet it works better...

-Sharkey