[RE-wrenches] Galvanized vs. Aluminum WAS: 14 inch aluminum standoffs?

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sat Mar 16 03:02:40 PDT 2013

Hi Andrew,

Would anodizing the aluminum offer any benefit to you ?

One of the non-traditional solar mount suppliers offered just such a
galvanized product and even sent out samples of their product. I put my
sample outside to see what kind of performance it did offer. Probably
something on the order of a year later, I called to inquire what
profiles they offered. It was no longer a current product. I interpret
this as another example of the marketing driven nature of business
today. You may be aware that the label on Home Despot shelves tracks
(among other things) how many of _that_ item was sold from that store
location that month, when the total is zero for three months running the
item is dropped. It is a profitable way to optimize shelf space, it is
also one major reason why my _local_ supply house gets my business and
HD is my supplier of last resort.

Enjoy the weekend,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094

On 15-Mar-13 3:52 PM, Solar Energy Solutions wrote:
> Dear All,
> While not participating much in the dialog  I greatly appreciate your
> time and knowledge on matters of the Sun.
> My question is two fold.  Are folks using galvanized or hot dipped
> galvanized in any way, shape or form out there for their mounting
> systems?  I feel like I need to know this as we only use aluminum
> because our climate is so wet.  Yet we are in a situation where using
> galvanized might be the best and only options, although we am not
> seeing anything with galvanized that is readily out there either.
> Fold Two:  Does anyone know of a source for 'standoffs' that are
> greater than 7"s but less than say 20"?
> Sincerely,
> *Andrew Koyaanisqatsi*
> President
> *Solar Energy Solutions, Inc.*
> Since 1987,
> Moving Portland and Beyond
> to an Environmentally Sustainable Future.
> *503-238-4502*
> *http://www.solarenergyoregon.com/ *
> *"Better one's House too little one day*
> *than too big all the Year after."*

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:

> List rules & etiquette: