[RE-wrenches] Heat Tape

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Jan 2 18:59:05 PST 2013

i have done this on a particularly problematic installation here in our heavy mount shasta snow country - where the deep snow would freeze to ice on the module, and as it crept down the array, it would peel off the bottom edge of the module frame, usually resulting in broken glass/destroyed module. so this was done more to prevent module damage rather than snow removal.

the heat tape was attached to the aluminum on the bottom edge of the bottom module. the result has (so far) worked well. the heat seems to keep the ice melted enough to mitigate the module frame damage. when the customer is home they use a snow rake to remove the bulk of the snow off the roof mounted array, but they wanted a way to prevent damage when they are gone.

btw, this is a grid tied system, so power consumption is not a huge issue unless the grid is down.

todd