[RE-wrenches] Heat Tape

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Jan 2 17:45:53 PST 2013

Hello Wrenches,

There has been a lot of discussion about how to get snow off of
modules.  It was even suggested that we might run power back through
the modules to warm them.  Indeed that was tested, and seemed to take
a lot of power for somewhat promising results.

A customer asked me about heat tape.  This sounds like it might be a
viable option.  Noticing the melting pattern on my array, it looks
like a little heat tape on the bottom would loosen the glacier where
it dams up the sheet of snow and ice covering the array.  Maybe some
heat tape on the bottom frame, that could be switched on when needed,
would help clear the array.

Has anyone tried this?  Do you see any problem with this method?

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC