[RE-wrenches] Heat Tape

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:53:16 PST 2013

With heat tape I'd be worried about uneven heating of the module surface
and possible cracking.

I have toyed with the idea of running a length of 2" or 3" conduit under
the bottom of the modules on my shop roof. It would be capped on the end
and have 3/8" holes drilled in it every foot. It would lead inside the
building to a simple blower on a timer. The heat would be even and gentle.

I've noticed that if I can just clean off the bottom foot or so of the
array the heat gets up under the snow the whole mass comes down on the
first sunny day. An hour of warm air might jump start the process.

Hilton

--
Hilton Dier III
Renewable Energy Design