[RE-wrenches] Sealing roof vent

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 3 08:19:18 PDT 2013

So this is a plumbing vent instead of a furnace or hot water exhaust vent?
I’ve used Fernco rubber caps on unused vents, with the screw down pipe
clamps around the bottom. Also these are just to allow air into the vent so
draining water doesn’t create a vacuum so I suspect there is little to be
concerned about with cutting them off just above the roof flashing and
allowing enough room over the top to allow air to flow into it. On a three
inch vent that is only ¾” to equal the surface area of the pipe. The top of
the flashing is protected by the module over its top. Over time would there
be sewer gases which might cause trouble on the back sheet of the module? I
don’t know.

Bill Dorsett

Manhattan, KS