[RE-wrenches] Sealing roof vent

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Oct 3 06:02:33 PDT 2013

Hello Wrenches,

We are moving a roof vent. My plumber suggested that we cut the old
one and cap it instead of having to repair the roof. I'm not sure a
capped vent would be short enough to fit under the array.

What if we were to cut the vent off at the flashing level and plug
the pipe. A rubber plug could be put in and topped with hydraulic
water-stop cement. Neoprene roof sealant could be spread on top of that.

Has anyone tried anything like that? Are there any other good
options? Can you see any issues with this method?

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC