[RE-wrenches] GEC sizing for a high amp, low voltage PV system with microinverters

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Wed Sep 18 14:17:08 PDT 2013

Sole connection indicates that a GEC is connected to only one type of
grounding electrode. This term is easily mis- understood. For example, a
GEC can be connected to more than one grounding electrode—say, two ground
rods—and still be considered to have a sole connection. Similarly, multiple
GECs connected to the same grounding electrode are each considered to have
a sole connection. When GECs have a sole connection, their maximum size is
limited per NEC Sections 250.66 for an ac system and 250.166 for a dc
system.  The 2014 NEC adds some clarification on this.

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
IREC ISPQ Certified Affiliated Instructor/PV US-0132

PV Curriculum Developer and Instructor
Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org