[RE-wrenches] PV Assist - customer management

Solarguy ntrei at 1scom.net
Sat Aug 17 08:41:38 PDT 2013

> >> Funny reminds me of the old days,

I seem to recall a lot of years back, on this same discussion site, a
similar exchange. It seems that one installer was looking for advice
concerning an overly demanding customer with unreasonable expectations for a
PV systems performance.

The customer was the Dept. of Defense.

Opposing points-of-view questioned why any Wrench in their right mind would
waste perfectly good, and expensive, PV on someone whose goal was world
domination and death to all who opposed them. I'll sell 'em PV because I'm
in the business of selling PV was the response.

Other debates have sprung from Wrenches complaining that potential customers
have two SUVs parked in front of a 6500 sf home. These people clearly don't
get it! Why should I waste PV on them?

The answer is always the same. Because it's what we do.

McMansion owners and the DOD are now believers and established customers.

Now there is no one that wouldn't agree that the growing exodus from our
decaying, congested and polluted urban metromess will not continue to
increase. It's no different now than years ago. Sell them all the PV they
are willing to pay for but do it with unabashed honesty. And when they are
neck deep in challenges from their lifestyle decision, they will always
remember that you warned them that it would be like this. And they will
respect you for it if they have an ounce of integrity.

This new generation of get-out-of-town with their all-electric lifestyle may
be our next market segment to deal with. If you don't want their business
then some other PV installer will. If the job's done right the first time it
benefits us all. If not we all take one step back.

Our industry competition includes the coal, natural gas and electric utility
cartel. They and a lot of politicians, stand shoulder to shoulder in
opposition to individuals generating their own power. You had better take
every customer you can get and make a believer out of them because the
competition is doing everything they can to put up hurdles to PV growth.

And because ours is one of those industries that trains-your-competition
it's important that we train them to high standards. It's not easy being a
pioneer.

Jim Duncan