[RE-wrenches] PV Assist - customer management

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 07:12:47 PDT 2013

This: "PS: the "good" customers are not necessarily the greenest people,
they are the ones that reduce consumption as best they can, do their
homework, trust me and pay on time."

I'd add, "and have a grasp on the realities of the situation."

There are people who will never grasp that you can't consistently leave
a battery at 90% DOD for a week without shortening its life. Or that
solar irradiance drops in the winter. You can recite the facts to them
and they will nod and look like they are absorbing information, but
memory fades and a month later they will complain about the exact thing
you explained to them.

William, whatever you do with these clients, I recommend that you write
a short disclaimer about battery life and have them read it and sign it.
"I acknowledge that this particular design and implementation is not
ideal for long battery life. I do not expect the battery banks as
installed and used to last their advertised cycle life." Or something
like that. When they ask why you aren't designing it differently, quote
them the price for a system that would preserve the batteries. Pick
their jaw up off the ground for them, hand it back, and make them sign.
At the very least it will put them on notice that the reality of the
situation is not ideal.

Good luck.

Hilton

--