[RE-wrenches] Tri-Star MPPT

Eric.Bentsen at schneider-electric.com Eric.Bentsen at schneider-electric.com
Tue Jul 23 14:48:55 PDT 2013

Hi William,

 If the SG was 1.26, of course the battery voltage would increase
quickly to >30V (which is high for warm weather, BTW).
 It has been my experience that sulfation causes the voltage NOT to climb.
Especially when you have a very large bank, and a
 relatively small amount of solar.
 Sometimes it is necessary to reduce the bank size into smaller sets to
equalize them and recover their performance.
This method of reducing bank size is also effective to compare performance
and weed out a potentially bad battery.
 Systems that have a lot of capacity, with a relatively small amount of
charge current usually creates problems, because
 the load demand exceeds solar production.
 This results in batteries that operate with partial SOC, which is when
sulfation is most prevalent. With (8) L16s, you have approx
 800Ahrs of capacity (24V bank). It would take significantly more than 8A
of charge current to properly care for a bank that size.

Rgds,

Eric Bentsen  |   Schneider Electric   |  Solar Business  |   UNITED
STATES  |   Technical Support Representative
Phone: +(650) 351-8237 ext. 001#  |
Email: eric.bentsen at schneider-electric.com  |   Site:
www.schneider-electric.com/solar  |   Address: 250 South Vasco Rd.,
Livermore, CA 94551

*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail