[RE-wrenches] Trojan L-16s

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Jul 17 14:06:59 PDT 2013

Hi Tom,

These are Trojan L-16E batteries, 370 AH.  They
have a 2 hour absorb cycle at around 29.3
V.  There is one series string of 4 batteries in
a small, off grid cabin that is used  3 or 4 days
a week.  The system has 980 Watts of PV with an
Outback FM 60 CC and an Outback 3524 VFX inverter.

I was concerned to read that John and Bob have
been seeing more problems with the Trojan L-16s
lately. They have been a standby for this type of
system. If they truly are not lasting as long as
previously, what other options do we have for a
reasonably priced, decent quality battery in that amp hour range?

Thanks,

Drake

At 09:54 AM 7/16/2013, you wrote:

>boundary="_004_66ba8ba32edb46a18046d46a3a83c95cBLUPR05MB165namprd05pro_";
>         type="multipart/alternative"
>
>Hi Drake
>
>The first thing I would look at is how the
>batteries are being charged
 Can they even be
>charged by the present equipment? What is the
>Bulk/Absorb voltage and time? Equally important
>is the design of the bank
 series or