[RE-wrenches] PV-direct electric water heating

David Katz dkatz at aeesolar.com
Tue May 14 08:22:12 PDT 2013

Hi Luke
I am doing this with a 1200 watt array that is AC coupled to my off grid home inverter. I am using an SMA 1800 inverter because it is 120vac.  I use a relay connected to the AC  output that connects the 4500 watt water heating element to the AC breaker panel when battery voltage reaches the bulk setting.  I use the auxiliary output of a Midnite charge controller to control the relay.  Using a grid tie inverter is more efficient because the array is MPPTracked.  Without the inverter an array connected to a water heating element, the array will spend a lot of time off of the. Maximum power point, especially n low light, and early and late  in the day.  Also the AC coupled array adds to battery charging when needed, before heating water.  I see you point, that PV is so cheap, you could add an extra 1000 watts for the price of the inverter, but be careful what you used to disconnect 150+ volts DC.  He temp switch on the water heater will arc and fail.
David Katz

Sent from my iPhone