[RE-wrenches] PV-direct electric water heating

Bill Hoffer sunengser at gmail.com
Tue May 14 08:39:35 PDT 2013

Luke

I know that this is different than your off grid situation, but I have a
grid connected home with 2.4KW array AC coupled with an 1.8kw Exeltech
system to an Outback that has been powering my all electric house to
include an electric instant hot water heater ( 2 x 55amp 240 circuits!), I
even have baseboard heat.  I am selling excess to the grid and banking it
for half the year during the summer and I use grid power to make up the
difference in the winter.  I have the cheapest power rate in the US
($00.0178/Kw), so that is why I am connected to the grid and also it is a
very small efficient passive solar straw-bale house here in central
Washington.  I plumbed in solar hot water, but never got around to hooking
it up......seems like it is not worth the hassle at this point the PV meets
about 1/3 my power needs during the year and the Grid is a pretty cheap
battery for me in the winter!  I mention it just to illustrate that the
cost of PV electric is getting to the point where it could in some
instances make solar hot water not worth dealing with!  I will proabably
spend the money to increase the PV in the future.  The made in Washington
incentive payment of $.54/Kwhr PV produced until 2020 will easily finance
that addition!

Bill

Bill Hoffer
P.O. Box 1823