[RE-wrenches] Cable tray

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Mon Mar 25 15:46:42 PDT 2013

Uses permitted. 392.10(B)(1) requires that single conductor cable in cable tray be size 1/0 or larger.

Here's the deal, though. NEC 2014 will add "Service Entrance Cable: Types SE and USE" to Table 392.10(A). It is not in that table now, which is why inspectors turn to 392.10(B). That means that under 390.10(A) in NEC 2014, Type USE conductor can be used in cable tray according to the methods outlined in Article 338. And references in 690.31 make it clear—if it isn't already— that PV Wire and USE-2 can generally be used interchangeably in PV systems, and that cable tray is accepted for source circuit conductors.

So if you ever get called on 392.10(B)(2), I think you can point out that the Code Making Panels have been busy clarifying that cable tray is okay for source circuit conductors. Unless I'm missing something....