[RE-wrenches] generator suggestions

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Wed Jan 30 05:07:49 PST 2013

Ray,
   We don't install generators but have installed several (4) systems
where the customer has ordered and had installed Generac's Eco-Gen, if
that is the model you're referring to. In the past I would NEVER
recommend Generac. The gen installer had to install the two wire gen
start option and in one case convert the system for 120 output. At
least two have been in use for more than a year and a half with no
tuneup and no complaints from the client. You know that we are the
first to be blamed when the gen goes out of voltage or freq.  It must
be the fault of the solar system.......One of the clients is on Cat
Island in the Bahamas, the  others are in Maine. I have been
recommending them to clients with smaller load demands/systems these
days. While they are not Onan or Kohler, they seem to me to be made
especially for off grid solar systems,reasonably priced and until I see
problems with them I will continue to recommend them when they fit the
bill.

Daryl DeJoy
NABCEP Certified PV installer
PenobscotSolar Design