[RE-wrenches] Husqvarna 5500 and VFX3524 Compatibility

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Jan 27 15:38:39 PST 2013

Usually those portable generators have very poor wave forms, with a big
spike on the leading edge of the sine wave.  Frequency regulation also
can be all over the place as it gulps gas and sputters on impurities,
etc.  When they get loaded, you keep the nasty little spike, but then
the whole wave just squashes down too.  I've seen the peak (which should
be 169v on a 117 v pure sine)  hitting under 140 v peak.
I usually recommend charging with cheap gennies in the day, and limiting
other loads.  He definitely can't blame the inverter, as the generator
power is just passing through a transfer switch straight to the loads
when its running.  You're right to try backing down the charge rate and
watch the generator waveform.  If you don't have an oscilloscope, a
Fluke 87 can capture the peaks in fast capture mode.  Todd is also on to
something, that generator doesn't have full output at 120 v, so you need
a transformer to get a balanced full output from it.  Maxing out one
leg, while the other leg is unloaded will eventually cause uneven wear
of the generator.

Ray Walters