[RE-wrenches] Remote monitoring for off-grid system

Davis Terrell Davis at mckernongroup.com
Thu Dec 5 13:03:58 PST 2013

Hi Wrenches,

I am evaluating remote monitoring solutions for an off-grid project and
wanted to get any feedback people were willing to share.  I see my three
main choices as Outback, SMA Sunny Island, or an XW system, the first
two of which I have a good bit of experience with.

It looks like the only good remote options for Outback are 3rd party
which I couldn't get much info on, despite emails to the manufacturers.
Anyone have any experience with GreenHouse Gas and Electric dataloggers?

A Sunny Island with a Webbox and Sunny Portal seems the most
straightforward, but doesn't have real-time data.

I stumbled upon the Connext Combox on the Schneider site and it looks
like a great product, but I am a little wary.  What comments I did find
out about it online weren't very favorable.  And it looks like setting
it up for remote access is not very straightforward.

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences!

Davis Terrell

Project Manager

Green Earth Energy