[RE-wrenches] Enphase Engage Coupler Burned

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Wed Dec 4 13:35:26 PST 2013

First off - I'm not suggesting this was caused by an Enphase product
failure.

We discovered burned wires in an Engage trunk line coupling where we
transitioned from Engage coupler to TC cable on a three-phase system. See
pics attached. There was a string of modules down, reporting voltage out of
range. The customer reported that a close by utility transformer had blown
up and that the line worker told them there was a phase-to-phase short.

>From the burn mark and cracked coupler case it appears that the failure
occurred quickly and dramatically and there was no prolonged flame. This
string happens to be the closest string of several to the AC combiner
panel, and this splice is close to the roof mounted junction box where we
transtioned from TC-ER to THWN-2.

Fortunately the module damage is superficial and the fix was easy. All
inverters on the string returned to normal operation after replacing the
coupler.

Anyone seen something like this before? I have to think it was due to the
utility spike.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar