[RE-wrenches] Remote monitoring for off-grid system

Eric Youngren eric at solarnexusinternational.com
Thu Dec 5 15:02:44 PST 2013

Check out the Wattmon <http://wattmon.com>   for simple off-grid remote
system monitoring.

We have been impressed with the simplicity of it and the quality of the
data it produces. Of all the systems I have tried, this one is my favorite
so far.   We are integrating it into our pre-wired off-grid MicroNexus
power centers to provide data logging and remote communications.

The only real limitation with it currently is that the hall effect sensors
that are used to measure DC current between the PVs, the inverter/charger
and the battery are too small for standard NEC required wire sizes for that
equipment at standard US power levels. (i.e. 2/0 or 4/0 wire)  It is
designed and made in India and marketed to the micro-scale SHS market
there.   #6 THHN is about the biggest wire it can take.

We are working with them on newer version for the US market that will have
larger hall effect sensors, up to 4/0 battery wire.  They are building a
first batch for us now.    Let me know if you are interested in purchasing
any and we can combine orders to save on shipping.

See an off-grid residential microhydro system monitored online using the
Wattmon here <http://www.wattmon.com/live/?key=Q2uU2oQ0vI6a>.

best regards,
Eric

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Davis Terrell <Davis at mckernongroup.com>wrote:

>      Hi Wrenches,
>

> I am evaluating remote monitoring solutions for an off-grid project and
> wanted to get any feedback people were willing to share.  I see my three
> main choices as Outback, SMA Sunny Island, or an XW system, the first two
> of which I have a good bit of experience with.
>

> It looks like the only good remote options for Outback are 3rd party
> which I couldn’t get much info on, despite emails to the manufacturers.
> Anyone have any experience with GreenHouse Gas and Electric dataloggers?
>

> A Sunny Island with a Webbox and Sunny Portal seems the most
> straightforward, but doesn’t have real-time data.
>

> I stumbled upon the Connext Combox on the Schneider site and it looks like
> a great product, but I am a little wary.  What comments I did find out
> about it online weren’t very favorable.  And it looks like setting it up
> for remote access is not very straightforward.
>

> Thanks for any thoughts/experiences!
>

> Davis Terrell
>
> Project Manager
>
> Green Earth Energy