[RE-wrenches] Adding similar but updated modules to same inverter

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Jul 12 16:27:41 PDT 2013

Hi Wrenches,

I have a client with a small system consisting of 6 SunPower 230s and a SMA
SB 3000. Anyway, he wants to add another 6 modules but the closest we can
get from SunPower these days is a 245. The new six modules would go on a
second string.

Do you think that the slight difference in tracking voltage and current
will be significant enough to justify the cost of adding or swapping the
inverter? Here is the info for the modules:

SunPower 230 WHT

Vmpp    41.0 V

Impp     5.61 A

Voc        48.7 V

Isc           5.99 A

SunPower 245NE WHT

Vmpp    40.5 V

Impp     6.05 A

Voc        48.8 V

Isc           6.43 A

I imagine that the tracker in the Sunny Boy will be a little off and
perhaps the result will be that both strings will be running a few percent
lower than they are capable of?

Best, August

*August Goers*

Luminalt Energy Corporation