[RE-wrenches] EGC for Enphases

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Wed Jul 3 06:26:25 PDT 2013

All,

I was just looking at small 4-module Andalay (Enphase 190) system tying
into one of the Lennox solar-ready air conditioners. The engineer had
specified the 690.47(C) GEC be run directly from the array down to the
existing electrode. Running from the inverters is a 2+G wire to the
Lennox panel; they are using the uninsulated ground as the circuit
neutral. It seems to me that this violates 200.7 (grounded conductor
marked white or grey). Also, 250.134(B) (EGC run with circuit
conductors), about which the engineer states "I have been studying the
NEC on this and I believe that the intent is to permit the ground to be
carried with the current carrying conductors, not require."

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dave