[RE-wrenches] Reliable Cheap Modsine Inverter

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Mar 13 09:01:58 PDT 2013

Hi Guys;

I have a project that will need multiple small battery based inverters.
Each one will only be running a 100 w max. computer power supply, so
there are no significant surges, and modsine will be fine  (most small
UPS systems only put out modsine)  Avg load will be 20 watts.
I know these little devils are sold everywhere from Walmart to Autozone,
but what brand holds up to moderate use?
Has anybody tried AIMs inverters?
Cost is an issue, budget can't afford a Magnum 600, or other transformer
based model, but reliability is most important.  I'm planning on
oversizing it substantially, I figure I would start with something at at
least 400 w cont rating, just to make sure.  I had an old no name 1500 w
inverter on our work truck that we took in on trade, and it actually ran
a circular saw.  We tried to burn it out and never did.
UL listing is not an issue, as these will be very small stand alone
systems not requiring AHJs or permits.

Thanks in advance as always,

--
R.Ray Walters