[RE-wrenches] Housekeeping

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Mon Mar 11 16:42:13 PDT 2013

Hi gang. Please send any response or comments to me OFF LIST.

Please read carefully.

1. Based on member feedback (or lack thereof), I have increased the allowed message size to 1 MB. That does not mean you should start peppering everyone's hard disks with larger files. Every time you send a file, literally hundreds of members receive it.

So please be judicious about what you send -- that said, the bandwidth is there if you need it.

Oh yeah, also continue to edit out extraneous quoting and footers from replies before sending. It just makes things cleaner.

2. A reminder that the default for our list server is that replying to a message goes to everyone on the list. In those cases where your reply is appropriate to send only to the person you are replying to, you need to grab their email address and replace the list address in the To: field.

3. Several Wrenches have been phished lately, so I offer this word of caution. If you receive an email or some other communication that suggests you need to log in to your email account and it offers a link to do so, DO NOT DO IT. Chances are it is a link not to your email host, but to a fake login page, for somebody who will then harvest your email address and password, and use it to send spam.

Be SURE that you are on your email host's (like Yahoo, Google Mail, AOL, etc.) legitimate web site before using your password. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask me for help.

Here is an example of what you might see, when being phished. Note that there might just be text like "Please log in now" and a graphic like your email host's, but the code underneath it is where the deviousness comes in. If you cannot see the underlying code in your email program, if you click it it will be visible in the URL field of the browser window that opens.

Examples:
Real Yahoo email login (there can be variations of this):
http://mail.yahoo.com

Fake Yahoo email login example:
http://mail.yahoo.com.urscrewed.ru

If you ever think you may have been phished, immediately go to your real email login and change your password.

For more info about phishing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing