[RE-wrenches] Housekeeping - File sizes and dialup

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Thu Feb 21 11:17:32 PST 2013

Hi gang. Please send any response or comments to me OFF LIST.

Since we have a fair number of folks on this list who live off-grid, we also had several still stuck with dialup internet access. For them, getting large messages was a hassle. Last year I raised the message size limit to 100K, which is large enough to include viewable jpg graphics of about 75K, along with a reasonable amount of text.

About once a week, I end up working with folks who attempt to send messages that are larger than that.

But now I would like to get a handle on how many of us still have significant restrictions on data, so please let me know.
1. For folks on dialup, file attachments can be a drag, time-wise.
2. For folks like me, whose home internet access is through cell technology, getting large files can end up being expensive, if their usage exceeds the limits of their phone plans.

Of course, there are work-arounds for these things, but for now I would like to hear from Wrench list members who are affected by large messages, to see if I can up the limits.