[RE-wrenches] Accessibility of Equipment on Roof was Are PV Systems Mechanical Equipment?

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Feb 7 12:02:05 PST 2013

While I haven't completely convinced the latest inspector about PV not
being mechanical equipment, I'm running into another issue.

I decided to try out the new Midnite MNPV6-AC combiner for Enphase
circuits. Because there are overcurrent devices inside, the inspector now
insists that NEC 240.24(A) applies and that the enclosure must be readily
accessible, meaning you have to reach it without a ladder. That would seem
to make the MNPV6-AC as a roof mounted solution, or Soladeck combiner
boxes, or any other combiner box incorporating overcurrent protection,
pretty much useless on a pitched roof or flat roof without a permanent
access ladder or hatch.

I'm debating whether to go to battle on this one or just capitulate.

*Jason Szumlanski** *

*Fafco Solar*

*
*

P.S. To answer benn's question, there is no definition of 'mechanical,' but
it does define 'equipment,' and it's clear to me that PV does not fit the
description.

*
*