[RE-wrenches] EGC vs GEC, separately derived system

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Thu Nov 29 14:17:47 PST 2012

Hi Mac,

I think the answer to your "separately derived system" question is in the
code snippet you pasted in below. Clearly, your Enphase grid tied system
has a direct electrical connection to the utility. A generator system that
runs while the grid is down would be an example of a separately derived
system since it will always have a transfer switch to separate the
electrical connections. In other words, the grid tied solar system is
designed to work in unison with the grid while a separately must only
operate independently. At least that is how I try to explain it to
inspectors around here.

I believe Brian Mehalic's email clearly speaks to why you still need a GEC
for the Enphase based system. Incidentally, we're starting to work with
listed ACPV modules and transformerless (non-isolated) inverters which
don't have a DC GEC requirement. This is a major benefit to help reduce
installed costs.

Best,

August

August Goers