[RE-wrenches] EGC vs GEC, separately derived system

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Thu Nov 29 07:21:11 PST 2012

The separately derived issue aside, enphase inverters have an internal DC
system ground and a marked point from which a DC GEC must be installed.
 Typically grounding is being done in the manner stated in 690.47(C)(3) - a
single conductor as both the DC GEC and EGC, meaning it has to be the
larger of the two sizes required; for most enphase systems, based on the
interconnection breaker size, the minimum EGC would typically be #12 (Table
250.122), but the minimum size for a DC EGC is #8.  A #6 may be preferable
under the array due to interpretations about the conductor being subject to
damage.

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™ R031508-59
IREC ISPQ Certified Affiliated Instructor/PV US-0132

PV Curriculum Developer and Instructor
Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org