[RE-wrenches] MPP Tracking Notes: Solectria PVI13kW, Module VMPs

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Thu Nov 29 06:39:09 PST 2012

Hi all,

I did an inspection recently that had 3 Solectria PVI13kW units
installed. I was surprised to note that the MPPT window on the nameplate
was 225-380VDC, as the online spec sheet and manuals all note a
205-385VDC window. When I asked tech support about this, they replied
that the window has been 225-380 for a while. The rep was surprised that
the online documentation is wrong and since my inverter was almost a
year old, it's apparently been wrong for a year. No update as of today
either, even though it's been a few weeks since I called. So, just an
FYI in case you're looking to spec those inverters.

This inconsistency ended up being a big deal on this inspection, as the
module manufacturer chose to custom-label each module with its actual
output. Turns out that the actual VMP values were about 9% lower than
the spec sheet indicated, which pushed the expected summer array VMP
down to around 217VDC. I'm not sure how widespread this tolerance issue
is, but since many manufacturers don't always provide flash test
results, and UL 1703 allows these values to vary by as much as 10%, this
is another good reason to try to max out your string sizes and stay as
far as you can above the MPPT minimum voltage. These modules have a
power tolerance of +/-3%, which they accomplish with higher current
values that in some cases actually exceeded the 10% UL tolerance limit!
After 20 years, the VMP on these modules will be about 20% lower than spec!

Dave