[RE-wrenches] Enphase voltage out of range errors

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Mon Nov 26 14:58:54 PST 2012

Hi William,
   We have experienced this at one installation using 22 M-215's. There is
not yet a conclusion, but here are some things worth looking out
for.....I printed out a spreadsheet of the incidents and noticed over a
one month period that they were all happening at either 8:30 am or 1
pm, give or take five or ten minutes. A data logger provided and set up
by the utility has not picked anything up. It does not happen on all
the inverters, nor does it happen on any one or two inverters
consistently. It is picked up by random inverters at those (8:30 & 1)
specific times, and not by all of them at any time. It is a Smart
Meter. When the meter is "pinged" by the utility at least a couple of
the inverters pick it up and do as required by UL, IEEE and NEC
standards, shut down and clear after five minutes. Obviously we have
checked all connections and they are all tight (Burdy insulated blocks)
and correct.
   Enphase has been very responsive and responsible in dealing with this.
They have checked for large inductive loads which might cause a
temporary sag in the waveform of the utility, they have checked on the
(new) transformer and are communicating regularly with the utility and
the customer to solve the issue.
   I am dealing with Brett, an engineer at Enphase, if you choose to
follow up that way.

Best,
Daryl