[RE-wrenches] Marine battery bank switch

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Oct 11 17:16:19 PDT 2012

One thing to consider is that flooded batteries almost always have a
slight short to ground.  Its in the milliamps, but its there.  It runs
through the conductive acid mist that coats the outsides of the
batteries.  So connecting the battery bank negatives together could
cause some current flow between the banks even with the switch off. I
found this out the hard way once with an ungrounded (vehicle) battery
bank that shocked me when I touched the chassis and the battery at the
same time.
I went to sealed batteries in that case and cured the problem.

Generally I'm not a fan of connecting new and old batteries in any
way.   I have used a battery isolator on RVs to allow the alternator to
charge both batteries, but it never allows them to be connected
together.  The isolator is essentially a pair of large diodes wired to
allow current flow to each battery, but no flow from either battery.
Again I probably would never do that on anything but an RV.
Consider also that you could have some volt drop at high current across
the switch, too.
If you like your new bank lose the switch, sell the old bank to a
neighbor, or use it on a separate system.

Ray Walters