[RE-wrenches] Small battery bank vs too large array

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Jul 19 14:53:04 PDT 2012

I could be wrong, but I thought the FM60 and FM80 charge controllers have
adjustable current limits that apply to battery charging, and I think when
integrated with GVFX inverters in sell mode and a Mate controller, you will
be able to accomplish what you need to do without a relay. I always thought
when the charge controller indicated GT Mode and was in bulk charging mode
that the current limit would be essentially ignored because the battery
voltage is above the sell voltage and any available DC current would be
inverted and sold to the grid. In other words, the batteries are full, so
they are not being charged - the FM60 and GVFX communicate and balance the
current available for selling.

You may want to talk to Outback about that, because I don't think it is
documented all that well, and again, I could be wrong. I've never installed
that much solar on a small battery, so it never came up! Incidentally, I
have someone that came in today looking for a 5kW grid-interactive system
and a small battery to handle critical loads. I was leaning to an AC
coupled system to get away from the issue you describe, but now I am
second-guessing that theory. I'd be interested to learn what you discover.

Most inverter manufacturer's have a minimum battery size, but that
seemingly is there to address the maximum possible current out of the
battery, not the charging rate because that can be limited, too.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Drake <drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org