[RE-wrenches] Small battery bank vs too large array

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Jul 19 14:20:45 PDT 2012

Hello Wrenches,

Where can I get a device that will measure current through a shunt
and create a signal to trigger a relay?

We want to be able to use a 2 kW array with four, 200 AH sealed
batteries on an Outback system.  2 kW of PV would be too much
amperage for the batteries.  The idea is to open relays to disengage
strings in conditions of high current to the batteries.

The reason for this is to create backup systems where power will be
abundantly available when the sun shines. The system will normally
connect to the grid, except during outages.  In normal charging
conditions the power will go straight to the grid.  When the grid is
down, power will be available for loads and battery charging, but
batteries will be protected from overcharge?

Any suggestions on ways to accomplish this are welcome!

Thanks

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC