[RE-wrenches] Aluminum Roof shingles flashing

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Mon Jul 2 23:58:19 PDT 2012

James,
Can you better describe the aluminum shingles?  Are they flat, or curved,
or…?

I'm looking at a project that is using these…metrotile_roman.cfm
<http://metroroofproducts.com/metrotile_roman.cfm>
Conergy is recommending their roman tile roof hook that mounts to the roof
deck and curves out from under the shingle/tile for attaching the rails.
Although Conergy's install manual states that these can be installed with
the shingle/tiles already in place, the roofers I spoke with recommended
installing the hooks while they are installing the shingles, so as to not
damage the shingles by lifting them up and back to gain access to attach the
roof hook to the roof.  I prefer this approach since it would be the first
time working on this roof material.

Apparently these shingles cannot withstand a lot of weight without suffering
damage, so it may be best to use a manlift.
Hope this helps,
Benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.
www.daystarsolar.ca
780-906-7807
Certified Construction Electrician Solar Photovoltaic Systems Certified
Certificate # 0007S
HAVE A SUNNY DAY