[RE-wrenches] Cheap Backup

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Jul 3 09:27:14 PDT 2012

Hello Wrenches,

We are having a prolonged power outage due to the recent storm that
ripped through the eastern U.S., and people with PV systems are
contacting me about ways to harvest their solar.  I'm investigating
inexpensive ways to at least let people have power during the day.

The only possible option that comes up so far is to use an
inexpensive off grid inverter to set up a mini grid.  Maybe set up a
24V unit with two small 12 V gel cells.  AC couple the on grid
inverter with the off grid in an essential loads panel.

My questions are:
    * How big an inverter can go on how small a battery bank?
    * Would the Magnum be a good choice for this?
        * How much PV can you backfeed through a Magnum
    * Is there a better way to accomplish this?
Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
ATHENS ELECTRIC LLC