[RE-wrenches] Power Quality

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:51:46 PDT 2012

Try the PS 4000 Power Sight Power Analyzer (http://www.powersight.com/).
You can log current, voltage, waveforms, transients, distortions,
frequency, swells and sags, etc. You can get the graph and the data, so you
don't have to judge the appearance of the graph. The PS3000 doesn't capture
transients or distortions.

Anyone "working on a short term energy efficiency projects in
California" can borrow this tool for free from the PG&E Tool Lending
Library (http://www.pge.com/mybusiness/edusafety/training/pec/toolbox/tll/).
Fine print: *The project address is within the service territory of one of
California's Investor Owned Utilities (PG&E, Sempra, SCE) which support
this and other programs through the Public Goods fund, *so this should work
for you Peter, unless your customer is in LADWP or another municipal
utility.

You can set it up to log over long periods, and/or plug it into a laptop
for live readings while you load up the generator, plus save that data for
further analysis later.

-Phil Boutelle