[RE-wrenches] Power Quality

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Jun 5 11:09:59 PDT 2012

Peter:

Excellent topic.  Just two weeks ago I was working on two Xantrex XW6048
inverters connected to identical Kohler RES15 generators.  One inverter
would connect to the generator, one would not.  I looked at the waveform
with a very old, very cheap service scope.  The waveforms from both
generators looked triangular.

I looked at the waveform at an on-grid location and the waveform looked
triangular, but less so.  Now I can't trust my scope.  I ask the same
question you are:  What tool do we use to check power quality?  Can we
judge a sine wave by it's appearance?

William Miller