[RE-wrenches] sub-panel supply-side tap

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Tue Jun 5 15:44:09 PDT 2012

Hello,

Ideally I'd like to make a supply-side tap on a feeder to a sub-panel. And I
mean tapping the feeder line-side of the sub-panels 200 amp breaker. This is
due to the limitations of the sub-panels 200 amp buss. My PV system max
output is 80 amps and therefore requires a 100 amp breaker. A no-go with the
200 amp buss. The 20% allowance won't work and I cannot downsize the 200 amp
breaker to make it work due to panel loads. I would have to upgrade the
panel to 400 amps. FYI this is 208/120 3 phase.

I have done supply-side connections before but only on a buildings main
service. Do all the same rules apply? What might be different I should take
into consideration? Thanks.

Kirk Herander

VT Solar, LLC

dba Vermont Solar Engineering

NABCEPTM Certified installer Charter Member

NYSERDA-eligible Installer

VT RE Incentive Program Partner

802.863.1202